Foods to avoid with macular degeneration
No surprise: The same foods that clog the blood vessels of your heart are also a danger to the tiny blood vessels of your eyes. To protect your vision, avoid fast foods and go easy on the following, especially if you have high cholesterol:
- Processed foods that contain trans fats
- Tropical oils, like palm oil (use vitamin E–rich safflower and corn oil instead)
- Lard and vegetable shortening, and margarine
- High-fat dairy foods (eggs in moderation are a good source of eye-healthy nutrients)
- Fatty beef, pork and lamb
Give sweets and sugary drinks the boot, too, because they spark inflammation, which generates eye-damaging free radicals. Sugary foods and fatty ones are high in calories and a major contributor to obesity, which is linked to AMD.